A healthy lifestyle is all about the small choices we make everyday. Do we get enough sleep? Do we move our bodies so they don’t become overtired from stress? What types of foods do we consume?
Choosing healthy foods is a great start to providing the fuel our body needs. And choosing foods that not only provide fuel but help us achieve our weight loss goals is the way to sustain our Choosing Slim success.
These tiny little seeds are small, but they are mighty.
2 tablespoons of chia seeds contain 139 calories, 4 grams of protein, 9 grams fat, 12 grams carbohydrates and 11 grams of fiber, plus vitamins and minerals. Not to mention the variety of health aspects:
- Antioxidants – excellent source of antioxidants which reduce oxidative stress
- Brain Health – Helps with brain function and memory due to essential fatty acid content
- Heart Health – High omega-3 and omega-6 content which are essential for the heart
- Blood Sugar – Helps to regulate insulin in the blood
- Detox – Cleanses the colon and absorbs harmful toxins in the body
- Weight loss – Essential fatty kids boost metabolism and promotes muscle (when mixed with water, chia seeds form into a gel which helps fight the hunger pains and helps our stomach stay full longer)
With a mild, nutty flavor, it’s easy to add them to foods and beverages. Sprinkle them on cereal, sauces, vegetables, rice dishes, yogurt, smoothies, and baked goods.
Looking for a simple way to add chia seeds to your diet? Here’s a quick breakfast idea that features these little mighty giants: